Saturday, July 17, 2010

Dance Class


Part of Alyce's potty training involved Mom and I saying that Alyce couldn't go to dance class unless she was potty trained.  Well now that she is potty trained it is time for Mom and I to keep up our end of the bargain.

About a month ago Mom signed Alyce up for a summer session at a dance studio near our house.  It turns out that Alyce was the only one signed up for the class and that it was going to be cancelled.  So Mom and I hastily found a replacement class taught by a classmate and Facebook friend of mine from high school, Holly.

I missed Alyce's first class because I had to pick up our car from the shop.  When I got home with the car Alyce accosted me as I walked in the door.  She was still wearing her leotard and tights.  She wouldn't let Mom take them off until she showed me her dance routine.  Alyce recited her dance routine the best she could remember.  Each movement took all of her attention and focus.  Once finished she looked so proud of herself and I was so proud of her.


A week later I got to attend Alyce's second dance class.  It was awesome seeing a bunch of little girls going through all their stretches, exercises, and routines.  The first thing Holly did was get all the girls quieted down by reading them a book about princesses.  After the book all the girls sat in a circle and did some stretching exercises.  Alyce did pretty good following along but she kept bending at the knee when she needed to get her legs straight.  She is about as flexible as they come so I wasn't too worried about her pulling a muscle because she didn't stretch out her quads.  After the warm ups the girls got to do some basic moves with tap shoes on.  I don't know much about tap but I'm pretty sure picking up your feet to your knees and smashing them down isn't proper form.  Holly did her best to teach the girls some basics but I got the impression they just wanted to make some noise.


After the tap came the ballet stuff.  This is where the real dance class begins.  Holly taught some basics and after that it was on to the routine.  Having seen the routine from the source I would say Alyce got it about half right when she showed me her routine the week before.  The dance routine was to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.  Alyce did pretty good emulating Holly's moves but wasn't perfect but she was as good as any of the other girls.  With this dance routine the girls got an accessory they got butterfly wings or Tinkerbell wings depending on who you ask.  After a few runthroughs the class was over and all the girls flew right past me to a candy jar.  Story, tap, ballet, and candy; a pretty good day for a 3 year old girl.

1 comments on "Dance Class"

Elizabeth Frick on July 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM said...

How fun is it that she's taking dance from Holly!!! Alyce is so super cute in the leotard too.

Post a Comment

Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out
 

Alyce's World Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez